2005 Road Trip

Self Assured Senior Portraits, Sultry Bridal Studies, Dreamy Maternity Images, and Precocious Toddler Triumphs.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Cascade Idaho to Sawtooth Wilderness (Stanley Idaho)

6/29
Wednesday
finally woke up to a fairly dry camp, only the morning dew falling from the Douglas Fir that we slept under but the lake was completely socked in by fog for hours. no photo op until late in the morning. I got up and make blue berry pancakes and everyone devoured them. Sverre had 4. and the rest of the orange juice was polished off.
essentials for camping should include not only:
Coleman grill for hot dogs, fish, chicken, and veggies / and griddle for pancakes, bowl with Wisk and pancake turner, but also a generous supply of baby wipes and paper towels. Plenty of plastic bags for trash, a store of paper plates and plastic utensils as well as paper cups for orange juice. tons of sports bottles for water. we survived on peanut butter and jelly and bread as well as bananas and apples for lunch, Cliff bars and trail mix for trail food. dinner was pretty easy with dogs and fish.
bedding issues are being resolved, while Sverre prefers his rolled up egg crate, because he can take it outside, I prefer my self inflating but much more delicate one to sleep on. we have a couple extra sleeping bags that we are using for additional padding or warmth that adds to the bulk of the load, now without the trailer, that would not be a problem, but either way, we will most likely upgrade next year to some more slim line choice gear.
laundry, for some reason I packed 4 days worth of clothes for 4 days and we needed 2 days of clothes and 8 days of socks. ;-) Sverre utilized baby wipes each day for a quick body wash, pretty ingenious. I am still drooling over a camp vehicle (15 passenger van size) so that I am not constantly packing, unpacking, packing, unpacking. I would take out all the bench seats but the first row, so that it is long enough for Sverre's 6ft 4in body, and could still put in a mini kitchen cabinet in the back, so with the tailgate open, I would have a chuck wagon kitchen. I have seen where they even raise the bed to provide storage underneath. too handy. Sverre says no way in hell.
we tried to bike but the gravel was just too soft. we did play down by the beach when the fog lifted, and that was fine for a few minutes, but then I was just exhausted, so I crawled back in the tent and took a 3 hour nap. Sverre woke me up to pack up camp and get out, that it was getting to crowded. Erik was the social butterfly, making lots of new friends, and even driving one girls pink Barbie jeep. When I went down, there was 3 tent trailers that were just 'swatting' for the weekend, (fireworks party) and one other camper a good 300 yards away. by the time I had my nap, the place was getting packed, and the area just 300 yards the other was was OVERFULL with Bus/RV's it was going to be a zoo. so we packed up and headed out. the
trip back south to banks, Idaho, and then left through Lowman (major fire recently) and on to Stanley was pretty scenic. the trees, the rock cliffs, and winding road was pretty cool. we spouted to get some pictures and wouldn't you know it, I twisted my ankle again. I was just sick.
we climbed over several passes, the highest was 7200 feet. the first camp ground that was on the suggestion list was Lola camp ground, it was PACKED and there were tons of kids for the boys to play with, but it was stifling. the second one was Stanley, very picturesque with the Sawtooth mountains in the background, but it was FULL. checked out XXX campground, drove over a washboard road very carefully, found the campsite to be quite, primitive, well spaced, but nothing to do. went into Stanley to get food supplies, WOW, the prices were Outrageous. a Cliff bar in Houston is .99, there it was 1.59, trout in Boise was $10/lb, there it was $15/lb. teach me not to plan ahead. made it to Redfish Lake and WOW, perfect. we settled in Sockeye Campground and it was pretty near perfect. while we unloaded the car, set up camp, Erik was fulfilling his social agenda, we really wonder where he gets it from, his dad is so very shy of strangers. We took a tiny ride (4 miles) where we ran into a doe wandering around, had some toilet issues with the boys, Magnus just hates to use a camp (no flush) potty, opted for a tree, and his trajectory was off, had to change his clothes, Erik also had some #2 issues, we finally gave up, I got some sunset on the lake photos, collected a $5 bundle of firewood from the camp host. and headed back to camp to roast some marshmallows. had major issues with fire safety with the boys, fell into bed, but not without some major issues from Erik stealing my sleeping bag. remind me again WHY oh WHY I do this for them? Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home